Monday, January 19, 2009

Poor Little Harrison....

Oh Goodness (sigh). What a long long day. All I looked forward to lately was Harrison getting tubes in his ears so that he could feel normal and not be in pain all of the time. Today he did not get that relief. He woke up whiny. His fever was 103.1. He continued to get worse over the morning. His ears started bleeding and he became very lethargic. I called his surgeon twice with no return call back until 4pm!!! By late morning, his fever was 104.7 and he couldn't lift his head he was so weak. I called his pediatrician and she said to wait for the surgeon to call me back. Knowing how bad off Harrison was, in the fact that he couldn't move, I took him straight to the emergency room. And if you couldn't tell, I am very highly upset with both his doctor and the surgeon. After arriving at the hospital, the little guy was put through the ringer. He had a LOT of blood taken. This was not an easy task seeing how strong he is. He was catheterized. He had Xrays taken. And it turns out that he has pneumonia in his left lung. The doctor said that the anesthetics will cause it if he was sick prior to surgery. So if that wasn't enough, he had a shot of antibiotics while there too. We were at the hospital for over 5 hours and this is not an easy task for anyone. But it was really hard on me seeing that I had to take William with. 5 hours in an ER with a two year old and a sick baby....not easy. But I am proud of the little guy for doing as well as he did. Tonight is going to be a long night for us. One of us has to stay up and watch his breathing all night. "No sleeping" doctors orders. If he start to have trouble breathing, we have to take him right in. He has a follow up appointment tomorrow to see how he is doing. Oh goodness. I just want this little guy to feel better. I have never seen him like this before. He is always so hyper even when he had ear infections. Now to see him barely able to lift his head brings tears to my eyes.

4 comments:

Martha said...

Wow, I was really sad to read this post. This must have been such a hard day for you. Five hours anywhere with a 2 yo and 1 yo are going to be rough but to see the 1 yo poked and prodded at the same time... that would be horrible. I can't imagine how hard it will be tonight to have to watch his breathing all night... I'll be thinking about you all and praying for you.

Alix Bryant said...

Reading this post brings tears to my eyes too! Oh, I hope he gets well soon!!!

Kate said...

Jymme! I am thinking about you guys. Keep us updated!

Kristen said...

Oh my goodness... you all have been through so much already. I'm so sorry about this. I really hope Harrison is feeling better now. I'll be thinking and praying for you guys!