Sunday, April 18, 2010

I thought lizards were bad...

Ok we have to be very careful now. Yesterday Scott went to mow the lawn and found this!!! Yes it is a diamond back RATTLESNAKE!!!! I really hate reptiles but snakes are my all time fear. Hate and fear are not strong enough words for how I feel about them. Scott thought he had killed him and his head slipped between those rocks. He wanted to leave it for a few hours to make sure. He came in after mowing the grass and told me the snake was still alive "yawning at him." I went outside to look for myself and broke it to Scott that the snake is NOT yawning! It was warning him. I ran up to get our firefighter neighbor for help. I assumed he had to deal with this stuff a lot. And I wasn't wrong. He found two rattlesnakes in his yard the day before. He was happy to help. I'm glad he helped because after he got here, the snake started rattling. That noise had me scared. If he weren't here, I would have made Scott come inside. The noise was loud and scary. Ugh. I still hate the thought. The snake is done for - no head :)

This morning before church, our neighbor directly across the street came over to warn us that they found two more snakes. And now when we just got home, the neighbor that helped us kill the snake last night stopped us to tell us they saw a 3 foot snake in our front yard while we were gone. It was just a gopher snake so they took it up the hill to release it.

Now we have had two lizards in our house since we moved here and I thought that was bad. This is MUCH WORSE! I am deathly afraid of snakes and I guess that is good since these snakes are deadly! It just scares me because we are always playing outside and this is our yard. We did yard work all day on Friday. I am just so thankful that Scott saw that snake and not the boys. I just know there are going to be more...

1 comment:

Martha said...

That is crazy. We found a couple garter snakes in our yard over the weekend... but a rattlesnake?? I would be scared to be in the yard after that. Hopefully you've seen the last of them!