Thursday, February 11, 2010

Poor William

Ugh. I will start on a lighter note. Harrison went back to the doctor Tuesday and his ear infection isn't gone. He was started on a new antibiotic that he hasn't been on before so hopefully this will knock it out. We really don't want to put tubes back in so our fingers are crossed. The news gets worse. Today we went to a pediatric orthopedic surgeon for William. I blogged earlier that he is a tippy toe walker. His achilles tendons are short/tight and that is why he does that. It is not out of habit rather than a need to. So we have tried everything on our end from stretches, exercises and massages. As time progressed, he has only gotten worse. He walks on his tippy toes almost 100% of the time including standing or with shoes on. SOOOO, he is NOT going to have a fun upcoming 18 weeks. He will spend 6 weeks in hard casts that go up to his knees. She told me the worst part is that he won't be able to run. To me, the worst part is going to be trying to clean the kid. After that, he will be in leg braces for 6 weeks 24 hours a day (he gets fitted for those Tuesday morning). Then the following 6 weeks he can take the leg braces off to sleep if they see correction. He has to get fitted for the braces first so they will be ready before the casts come off. So this whole process should start in about 2 weeks. We are hoping that it won't interfere too much with the summer activities. I feel so sorry for him. I don't really see this as the end to his medical problems as he has really bad gastrointestinal problems. I see a lot of complaining in my future :( And I don't blame him. Poor guy!

3 comments:

Martha said...

So sorry to hear William will have to go through that! He won't be able to run but will he be able to walk okay? I'll be praying for you all, I'm sure it will be hard on everyone. 18 weeks sounds like a long time but time has a way of flying by, it will be over before you know it.

Kubik Family said...

Oh my gosh..i'm soo sorry to hear this! Poor little guy :( Well atleast he is home w/ you and not in "school" yet, but definitely not going to be a fun time! I'll be praying for you guys! And that Harrison's infection gets better too! You have a lot to deal with right now, wish we lived closer to help out!!

Nana and Pawpa Payne said...

Oh that poor baby, tell him nana said those are really cool blue and black boots, I love them. Tell him also that once they come off and the whole ordeal is over with the casts and braces, he'll be the fastest runner and highest jumper so keep them on and he'll beat anyone running. Give him a big hug and kiss from nana. Love you William. Give little Harry a kiss to.