Friday, October 30, 2009

Cheers!

Well I decided to take the test. The last test of my mixology school and it is the speed test. I was very nervous to take it. Over and over again all I heard was, "nobody passes the first time." And I was very intimidated by the instructor giving the test. I heard horror stories. Even with hearing how horrible it is and that no one has ever passed their first time, I couldn't go in with the mentality that I was going to fail. Nervousness and excitement stem from the same hormone. So I went in with the "excitement" of thinking I am about to graduate from this school. Call it excitement or call it me shaking in my boots. The speed test is making 12 drinks in 7 minutes. They use bar slang and if you have even a tiny error, (short straw, glass, wrong garnish, waste alcohol, etc.) it is wrong. And you also get distracted when he asks you to wipe down the bar or turn a label out while testing. Well I felt prepared but ok if I didn't pass. I drilled with some guys who were very fast and good and that helped a lot. I was drilling and finishing at 6 minutes the night before so I felt I could try and what is the worst that could happen? Ha. So here was my test.

First round:
B-52
Long Beach Ice Tea "Top Cabin"
Courvoisier Seperator "down and dirty"

Second round:
Gold Driver "on St. Patty's day"
Kioki "fit for a king" and "with big red balls"
Traditional Orgasm "top cabin"

Third round:
Old Fashioned
Creamsickle "top cabin" and "with a bang"
Martini

Fourth round:
Mai Tai "top cabin" and "for Joan"
Singapore Sling
Mimosa

Notice you don't get anything like what would actually happened in the real world- a beer, rum and coke, etc. Throughout this, you can call "second call" once to hear the list of drinks before you set them out on the bar. It was tough as I didn't think my nerves would come over me like they did. But honestly, the instructor was opposite of what I expected. He was rooting me on and complimenting me the whole time. It made the test so much better. And guess what? I passed. With 6 minutes and 51 seconds, I am officially a licensed Mixologist. What a relief to have this stress over with (the speed test). Now I can look for a job! :)
The pretty flowers Scott congratulated me with :)

3 comments:

Nana and Pawpa Payne said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!
Knew that you could do it!
Fantastic Job!

Martha said...

Way to go!! That's awesome!

Kubik Family said...

CONGRATS! WOW that is soo awesome! Gosh i haven't even heard of most of those drinks!