Friday, May 18, 2012

My new mode of transportation!

crutches

Yep, for 8 weeks!  I have:

1. Marrow Edema: basically a bone bruise

2. Crack in my Tibia

3. Stress Fracture in my Tibia

4. Stress Fracture in my Femur

5. Chondromalica patella: “softening of cartilage”

6. Ruptured Baker’s cyst: “ruptured joint fluid behind knee cap.”

Basically as my doctor said, “a very broken knee!”

How did I do this?  Two weeks ago while running, my knee really swelled up and hurt.  For the following week, I iced it about 7-8 times a day it hurt so badly.  It would lock up and feel like it was going to give out.  I still went to boot camp but I also knew my limitations while working out and did not run as much or hard.  Last week I finally got into the doctor and he gave me anti-inflammatories and sent me for an MRI.  I have been icing, elevating, taking anti-inflammatories and wearing a knee brace.  I did NOT however, stop working out.  This past week it hurt but felt like it was getting better so I thought it was just inflammation (or was hoping so).  I was even so proud of myself that I knocked off almost one and a half minutes off my original mile run.  I was obviously feeling good.  So I went back to the doctor yesterday for my MRI results and he asked me, “how in the world are you walking?”  So he thinks that I started with a stress fracture and since I continued to work out on it, I totally tore it up. 

I cannot put any weight on it for 8 weeks.  He wants me to use a scooter.  Can you see that with two kids?!  I don’t think so. I go back next week because the scans weren’t in yet and he is afraid that if my written report is so bad, what do the actual scans look like? 

William is following me around like a fly with these crutches making sure I am not walking.  What fun!  I don’t think so. 

No comments: