Friday, May 7, 2010

No Break!

Didn't I ask for a break in one of my recent posts? I thought so. Well that hasn't come. Scott has been in Dallas this week for work. Wednesday night, I started experiencing some chest pains. They were off and on. By Thursday morning, they were hurting so bad that I called my cardiologist. Now I have had costochondrotis flare ups before but not for over a year. And now with my heart condition, I didn't want to take the risk of assuming that is what it was.
I was asked to come in for an EKG. Luckily my good friend,Pastor Katherine , came over again to watch the boys. My EKG came back "abnormal" but Dr. Soni was in a case so I had to wait for him to tell me what to do. A little later, I was instructed to go to the hospital and to have him paged when I got there.
I never did meet with him as he was on-call. But the emergency staff did a chest x ray, blood work, another EKG and gave me fluids. Of-course as if I wasn't in enough pain, the nurse "hit a valve" while trying to draw blood. I don't know what that means exactly but it hurt and she had to poke me again. Anyway my second EKG came back "abnormal" as well. The short of it is that the doctor read both EKGs and said that there wasn't anything serious to be alarmed about. My "blood work was good so if something bad were going to happen, it would have by now and the blood work would have indicated something like that." So there was no explanation to the chest pain. My EKG is abnormal because my "heart jumps between 80-100 while laying down." They gave me a morphine shot for the chest pain which didn't and hasn't subsided yet and sent me home with Tylenol with codeine. I did have an allergic reaction to something while there because my shoulder/upper arm turned red and looked like water blisters under the skin so they had to give me benedryl before I left.

My chest is still hurting really bad today. My paperwork from the hospital states, "based on your exam today, the exact cause of your chest pain is not certain." So yeah, that is comforting. My cardiologist is supposed to call me this afternoon to decide what to do now. Also one of my medications that I have been on since my first hospital stint is starting to produce new side effects. The top of my head goes numb for about two hours after taking it. I know it's the medication because the last 3 days of taking it, about 5 minutes after taking it is when this symptom occurs. Drama, drama, drama. I am so ready for a break from all of this.

The nice thing is that Scott caught an earlier flight home from Dallas yesterday. Katherine and Madeleine wore the boys out so much yesterday that they fell asleep at 5:23 and 6:30pm last night and slept until 7am this morning!!! Scott fells asleep around 7pm and me 8:45pm! So it was a early night for all of us.

On a funnier note, look who found the cookies this morning...

1 comment:

Nana and Pawpa Payne said...

Wouldn't it be nice to have a whole year with a break from pain, illness, stress,anxiety? It'll come, you just have to pray for patience.
On the funny note: Did you know that you had a cookie monster in your home?