Sunday, February 1, 2009

2:39:32

One Year and 5 days ago I gave birth to Harrison. Back then, I never thought that today I would run my first half-marathon. I am glad I made a goal for myself and I did it! I have been working out 3-4 days a week. But I had a setback recently. I have to admit that I almost didn't go this morning. I hadn't been training for the last month and I didn't run once in the last 2 weeks at all up until yesterday. So honestly I was not in shape to do this run since I became a slacker. With Harrison getting sick and myself as well, I didn't have time to go to the gym. 13.1 miles is far!!! Actually 13.26 miles (according to my Garmin watch) but I think that is because we made a detour to go to the bathroom. Next time you are in your car, clock 13.1 miles. You will see how far it actually is. Scott found me at the 10 mile marker and took a picture (I'm in the pink shirt and black shorts). Some of you may recognize my running partner.
It's Julie (Hathaway) Franklin. Going into today without training, I wasn't expecting much from myself. My goal was to finish under 3 hours and 15 minutes. And I have to say if Julie weren't there, that is probably the time I would have had. She was an excellent motivator and I owe so much to her. Every time I wanted to walk, she would say something to keep me going. Don't get me wrong. We did have a couple walking breaks but not long. And that is why I finished with a time of 2:39:32! She was amazing! Thanks Julie for helping me during my first half-marathon.

And of-course my handsome husband and number 1 supporter was waiting at the finish line to give me a hug!

My next run....I will train for that one :) But I am very proud of myself and happy I did this for myself. I feel great! Oh and the cause for the race was for Mobility. It was called the Surf City Half-Marathon as it was on Huntington Beach and most of it was ran next to the ocean. With over 18,000 participants, they were able to reach their goal. Tomorrow I may need one of those wheelchairs-ha!

3 comments:

Alix Bryant said...

way to go! you're awesome!

Martha said...

That's awesome! What a great accomplishment!! Congrats on a great time. :)

About said...

Congratulations Jymme!! You should be SO proud of yourself!! The farthest distance I competed in was a 10 mile run and that was hard! Next up I want to do a 1/2 marathon so AWESOME for you that you set the goal and accomplished it!!