Friday, April 1, 2011

"Bye bye Spot, I love you."

Ok, well I have to admit that I feel like the worst parent today. I have had my salt water fish tank set up since we moved here in 2008. It is a very fun hobby to have but it can be time consuming and costly. In the past year, I have neglected my hobby. I haven't bought that many new fish as old ones died off. So my goal was to get rid of the tank and fish. We were down to one fish, Spot. Well my hood broke on my tank yesterday and that was my sign. I called the fish store and asked if they wanted him. I did not want to buy a new hood and light. So the drama begins. Will started crying. I explained to BOTH of them that Spot needs a home with a light and he is lonely. He wants friends. So I go in the bedroom to put Harry's shoes on him and I hear William talking to Spot. "I'm going to miss you. I love you but don't be sad. You are going to have red crab friends and you will be happy, ok?" So we take Spot to the fish store. Both boys were very excited to see him make friends with an angel and a yellow tang. He looked happy. Harry precedes to the front desk and tells the clerk, "His name is Spot and tell him you love him." We both thought it was so cute. She said she will call him Spot every morning and tell him she loves him when she feeds him until he finds a new home. We walked past his new tank and said, "bye bye Spot, I love you." So we start to leave and Harry breaks down, "Spot has to come with us. His play date is over." I thought he understood and he didn't at all. He cried the entire way home and cried himself to sleep. If you know Harry, he doesn't nap. He still hasn't talked to me. I didn't think of my hobby being theirs. Harry and Will fed the fish every morning and they have always had fish in their life. We had the tank since Harry was 5 months old. They don't know any different. I wish I thought my decision through more carefully than I had. Not the best decision I made as a parent today. :(

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Awe... don't be so hard on yourself! Maybe you could get a small tank with a fish that doesn't require a lot of maintenance?!